Thursday, July 12, 2012

The New Portland...

I have the privilege of traveling to great cities for work, and one of my absolute faves is Portland.  To me, Portland is a mix of the hipster style and eclectic neighborhoods you find in NYC, the quaint old-city and earthy vibe of SF, and even a tidbit of what I imagine the South might be (there is a great street in North Portland called Mississippi Ave. that hosts hot spots for foodies and hipsters - reminds me of Williamsburg in Brooklyn mixed with old Southern charm).


I just got back from a 3-day trip, and can't wait to return.  For any of you who have not been to Portland in the last five years, I highly recommend looking into a long-weekend getaway.  Here's some of my must-do's!


Salt & Straw on NW 23rd St. - ahhhhhhmmazing ice cream.  They nailed it.  This is the best ice cream I've ever had - their flavors are out of this world, and the experience is totally worth the 15-45 min wait in line!


Bamboo Sushi - sustainable sushi spot that happens to be next door to Salt & Straw :)  Order the Green Machine roll...yuuuuummmm.






Por Que No - in North Portland on Mississippi Ave. - littered with hipsters & locals, this authentic and charming super-casual Mexican restaurant caters to foodies from all over.  Never thought I'd have the best Mexican food ever up in Portland....but I did!






















Clyde Common (below) - great dinner spot; cool vibe, lots of locals.  Fun place to do a group dinner and share bites.




Take time to work off the ice cream you indulged in from Salt & Straw, and walk & shop on NW 23rd Street  - so many cute boutiques.  Same with Mississippi Ave. after you enjoy dinner at Por Que No.


So many fun spots to go to in Portland...and each neighborhood brings it's own style and charm, providing great dining, shopping and sight-seeing experiences for all types.  Enjoy!  xoxo